Metalsmithing 101 // Basic Metalsmithing Course
This is a 3-week course that will be held once a week (Monday nights) from 6:30-9:30pm, in Merchantville, NJ. There will only be 3 open spots per class... and spots will be first come, first serve. Please only sign up if you are able to attend all three classes. (See below)
Due to COVID-19, all current and upcoming classes have been postponed. Please feel free to reach out if you are interested in securing a spot once classes resume.
This beginner-level metalsmithing jewelry class will provide a solid foundation of metal, tools, techniques, and safety. You will learn how to craft a pair of textured silver earrings from scratch, as well as a ring with a simple bezel setting for a stone. Basic techniques will be taught, however students are free to get creative with their design(s). The pictures shown are just an example of jewelry made using the methods that will be taught in this course.
You will learn the following techniques: sawing, piercing, texturing, sanding/filing, stamping, soldering, forming, hand forming a ring shank, bezel setting, patina + polishing.
Once you purchase/sign-up, your spot will be held, and you will receive an e-mail with more information; including the location where classes will be held.
You will be required to purchase a small list of materials prior to the course.
All other tools/materials will be provided for you during each class.
- Blazer GT 8000 butane torch (Amazon)
- Dremel 3000 (Amazon or Home Depot)
*If you already have a dremel, or prefer to buy a different model, please just make sure that it has variable speed options, not just high and low
- 3M Mask (Amazon)
- 3M Filters for mask (Amazon)
- ONE 6 x 2" inch piece of Sterling Silver Sheet, 22-Ga., Dead Soft (Rio Grande)
- ONE 6 x 1" inch piece of .999 Fine Silver 6" Sheet, 28-Ga., 1/4-Hard (Rio Grande)
- 6" inches Sterling Silver Half-Round Wire, 10-Ga., Dead Soft (Rio Grande)
- 12” inches Sterling Silver Round Wire, 20-Ga., Dead Soft (Rio Grande)
- 1 cabochon gemstone of your choice, must have a flat back
No refunds will be provided for cancellations or missed time.
Additional courses will be available at a later date.
Please feel free to reach out via e-mail if you are interested in taking the course at a later time, and we can schedule those classes.
No prior experience required.